Sunday, April 29, 2012

Surprises - Entrepreneur Rising - Writing Well - Zinsser

Selecting one thing I learned from today is a little tougher than it has been on some days. I did not get up early to read this morning before church as I had planned. Church was cool. It was the first time I attended church where I was not running the music show. It was quite relaxing. I wanted to go to show my support to the new people. We had a choice to go hear a guest speaker at another church that my son, Andrew, heard at a youth retreat and was really encouraged by.

I learned that getting 15 minutes of direct sunlight is not always easy. Sometimes clouds get in the way! I kind of wasted time trying to find a good outdoors place to read on my laptop.

I learned of a place called http://entrepreneurrising.com/ where local entrepreneurs rent desk or office space where they can still be around other folks like themselves to gain from the synergy of sharing ideas with each other instead of being isolated like so many small business people can be.

I read an incredible devotional by Oswald Chambers. Here is a sweet quotations from the April 29 reading:

Certainty is the mark of the common-sense life: gracious uncertainty is the mark of the spiritual life. To be certain of God means that we are uncertain in all our ways, we do not know what a day may bring forth. This is generally said with a sigh of sadness, it should be rather an expression of breathless expectation. We are uncertain of the next step, but we are certain of God. Immediately we abandon to God, and do the duty that lies nearest, He packs our life with surprises all the time.

Read some of William Zinsser's "On Writing Well." Many say it is the greatest book on writing ever. I totally agree. I discovered it when I hired a local writer to tutor me to improve my writing skills. After I read the first few chapters of this book, writing plainly started to make total sense to me and my writing teacher agreed when she saw my writing.

Highly Useful Knowledge-Eliminating Useless Fluff

No comments:

Post a Comment